Sunday, July 04, 2010

12 Hours and some change


That's how long it took for Cameron to get out of the episode. We started at 7:20am and ended at 7:40pm. Not really that long some might say, some others might say it's really not that bad he's just throwing up, my kids throw up, I throw up - yeah it's unpleasant but it ends.

And end it did, thank god. But I have to be honest it's the longest 12 hours of my life when it happens, I wonder with each passing moment are we getting better or worse? Will this time be different? Is he deyhydrated, of course he is, he hasn't drank or gone to the bathroom since 8pm the night before! But is he in a dangerous zone for deyhydration? I used a syringe to force gatorade into his mouth, he probably got a total of 2 tablespoons.

There is no way to describe how awful it is to watch your child clearly in so much pain, and so miserable with no relief for hours.

At 6:30pm I called our neighbors over, one is a nurse and the other a fireman, I just needed someone to tell me if he was too dehydrated. They said he's ok, but if he vomits more it's probably time for the hospital and IV fluids. They probably thought I was crazy, not knowing his history.

And no sooner than they walked out my door Cameron throws up, we decide to give him a little more time to see where this is going. 20 min later, throws up again and within 5 minutes of the most violent act of throwing up (keep in mind there is nothing to even get rid of) he stands up from the fetal position he has been in for the last 12 hours, opens his eyes and says out loud in the Cameron voice we all know and love "I want some apple juice, I need to go potty!" and trots off to the bathroom.

I swear it's like the exorcist left his body or something, seriously these episodes should be on video, to watch him come out of this one was just crazy.

For those who are counting, which may be just us - ha!, we are on episode number 7 since May 8th. I have been doing tons of research on CVS and after last night I spent two hours reading more articles, I just want to figure this out.

We are lucky his episodes are only 12-14 hours based on history, as some kids do this for days. I could not handle days, I just could not, a hospital stay would always be in order. So we're lucky on that count, so far.

I hope the GI doctor is ready for us Friday, part of me wants to call them ahead of time and say book two hours for us! One of my big questions is how can we prevent episodes, b/c the Zofran did not help abort the episode, so should we go to the hospital when he's in the episode to get him out faster? The list goes on.

We are going to make up the Saturday parade we missed in Riverside and pretend we live in Hinsdale for their parade tomorrow.... shh... don't tell anyone!
Today we took a train ride, something Connor has been begging us to do. It was nice to have a fun day!!

No comments: