Saturday, July 09, 2011

Enjoying Summer

I was reminded this past weekend, as we all celebrated July 4th, last year Cameron was sick yet again, it was so nice to celebrate all together as family this year and reminds us to not take anything, moment or opportunity for granted. What fabulous weather, right!!

Everyone had a great weekend, there was lots of dancing by Cameron at our local Concert in the Park, I tried to get a video, and trust me it's worth a video but I failed. Possibly because at that moment our resident hooligan, Connor, was being "pulled over" by the Riverside police for riding a scooter in the middle of the concert area. Of course the scooter had to be impounded to our picnic area and this resulted in a very distraught 3 year old.

The parade was hit, if for nothing but the gobs and gobs of candy they boys received. Here they are waiting, waiting, waiting for the parade. I love the similar expressions.



We've hit the Forest Park pool, where a "code brown" occurred, I mean what's summer without some poop in the pool!?! This was Cameron's first day back swimming, great luck!

Cars 2 was another summer hit, along with a little summer school, summer camp... well we are making the most of summer I'd say.

Cameron is doing really well. We had our follow up MRI on June 21st and his ventricles are larger, which for Cameron, is a good thing. Dr. Bowman and I discussed the situation and Cameron falls into a very small percentage of Hydrocephalus kids that cannot tolerate smaller ventricles, even though that is what the shunt is in place for, to reduce the larger ventricles.

It's very much a guessing game as to how long this new valve will keep Cameron's ventricles in a happy place, not too big and not too small. Some of you may be asking why does he suddenly exhibit symptoms of increased intracranial pressure, yet it does not show up on imaging? and then it will resolve itself only to return days later? And why did he do so well with this shunt for 4 years and now all these recurrent problems?

Ok, maybe you aren't actually asking this question, but I am. There is no answer, outside of "we just don't know" the brain is hard to figure out and its resistance varies with each person.
So we're left to wonder will we get 6 months, 6 years or 6 more days from this surgery before problems present again. You could drive yourself crazy thinking about it all the time, so we don't. Sure any time he grabs his head, yawns too much or seems "off" I get a little nutty but I'd say for the most part we're doing good.

Dr. Bowman and I did discuss what's next if this happens again, she would likely do an ETV. This is the surgery that Cameron first had after he was born, I actually inquired after surgery if she could have just done this, along with the new valve, during this most recent surgery. But she explained it's carries more risk and she would never do something without discussing the risks with us first. Makes sense. And makes me nervous for what could be coming our way.
At one point while Cameron was in surgery I honestly thought I was going to throw up from the fear of what could happen.

But enough about that, for now we focus on the good, Cameron is healthy and we are making the most of our summer! Another lesson in take the the good times when you have them and make some amazing memories...

No comments: