I've never
won any prizes in a raffle, trips to exotic locations or even a silly
radio contest in my younger years. I definitely would not use the term lucky to describe my "life" if you asked me 3 years ago.
Some who have learned of our journey, heard some of
our stories, or read slices of this blog since Cameron was born, probably
wouldn't use the term luck when describing the twists and turns of the last 6.5
years either.
Some might say there have been times when we have
been down right unlucky, that some would include myself.
But today, and really the last 3 months, I've felt
lucky and overjoyed at the progress Cameron has made since our last surgery in
June. It has been so long since I could breath a true sigh of relief or go to bed without one ear open. I truly
forgot how good it feels to have a child seemingly not on the brink of a trip
to the ER every other day.
We've started making plans again, we've started
living again. While I know it could all
be ripped away from us in an instant with one headache, gait change or vomiting
episode. Going 6 months without ANY of these signs, well that has not happened
since 2010, so to get 6 months of "good"! Yeah, we are pretty darn
lucky.
Today, I met a sweet little red headed 2.5 year old
boy named Declan Keddy, who like Cameron, has
Hydrocephalus and a host of other conditions, also like Cameron. But
Declan is different from Cameron, you see Declan was born at 24 weeks.
Can you imagine? 24 weeks.

As a result he has had quite a full life in his
short time, he is the definition of a fighter. His mother, Stephanie and
father, Tom shared how Declan has therapy Monday thru Saturday, each week,
sometimes twice a day. You name it and he has therapy for it -
swallowing, vision, physical and the list goes on. He's had 10 surgeries, many hospitalizations and struggles to do so many things we all take for granted like swallow, hear and sit up.
Today I watched as Declan worked his way around his
home, lying on his back, he could get just about anywhere he wished. He
loved staring at himself in the frog mirror tapping his hand along side,
he cuddled his mom and dad, drew strength from their strength as they helped
pull him up from lying down, and he waved good bye as I walked out the door.
Walking down the stairs to my car, I felt lucky in so many, many
ways. Most obviously for the life
Cameron has led thus far. I know he will
always have struggles, and a need for life long medical care, but he is very
fortunate to have many strengths. He is
fortunate to have made it to 32 weeks.
What made me feel really lucky?…It is because of Cameron’s life that we
are able to help make Declan’s future and care maybe, just maybe, a little
easier.
Declan Keddy is the 2013 Cameron Can Foundation grant recipient. The
board could not have chosen a more deserving child. The Cameron Can Foundation came to be because of some pretty spectacular friends who saw a need an answered it for Cameron, and our family. Yes, we are lucky.
So on a day when you are feeling down, frustrated or tired. Remember there are so many children like Declan, Maureen & Cameron who work so hard to do what comes so easily to most. They are in your neighborhoods, in your
classrooms, in your past and in your future. I bet if you asked any of these children if they were lucky, the answer would be yes.
I hope you’ll consider joining us on March 14th for Cameron Rocks On 2013, we will celebrate
and help a boy with true IRISH heart, Declan Finn Keddy. You’ll instantly feel good about yourself to
know that you did something to help a child in need. I can guarantee it, plus it's a really great party!
I’m so excited to see our promise to pay it forward, and help other children like
Cameron, becoming a reality. Lucky,
lucky, lucky I tell you!
Remember everyone is lucky, even if you have to think hard about
it, you’ll find the luck of the Irish.

















No comments:
Post a Comment