Sunday, August 29, 2010

Soaking up the Sun before the Storm

We have been trying to avoid talking, thinking or even preparing for what lies ahead this week. I think we’ve done a really good job!

Wednesday we had a family trip to the zoo, it was clear from the start the main goal for Cameron and Connor was a hot pretzel, but we distracted them with the many animals. I think the giraffes were the family favorite, we had to see them from two vantage points (per Cameron request).


As 5pm hit, we headed towards the exit. The boys were racing to the pretzel kiosk it was so funny, Mom and Dad were preparing for a double dip meltdown when the fatal words “sorry we’re closed” would be uttered. I politely asked the man who was clearly closing up shop if he was still open…no can do. And do you know our two boys just took it in stride. We were shocked, as meltdowns over the most mundane of items are cause for tragedy in our house daily. I am writing this moment down so I don’t forget the next time waterworks come pouring down because “Connor took my microwave!”


Friday we headed to Lake Forest Beach with our buddies Charlie & Carter, add in Cameron & Connor, well let’s just say we had a hard time calling out the right name after the right boy. It was a gorgeous day, Cameron took a while to come around, but he did, and proclaimed it another “great day at the beach”. Connor was in heaven from the get go, trucks in the sand, sand piles to climb and water guns, I think he would most definitely echo Cameron’s sentiments but he was too busy having fun!



Not to be outdone was a trip to the Levin Family pool on Saturday, Cameron was ready to roll! It was so great to see him make an adjustment to a new place pretty quickly, and he had a great time in the pool, even jumped in and went underneath the water (with mom’s help). Connor is a fish and was showing off his best fish moves.




Although to be sure he enjoyed the cupcakes the most. Ava was the perfect hostess and showed us all some great cheerleading moves, one of them ending with “let me put some boom in it” hilarious from a 4 year old. And for the first time I saw Connor attempt to hug another child vs. push them, and it was a girl- Score! Must have been the “boom”…
We’re all growing, right ?




And this brings us to Sunday night and the week that lies ahead – can’t bare to think about it, but we must.

Monday: Kidney Ultrasound + Urologist

Tuesday: School starts, definitely on edge about him being under the care of others who won’t know the signs of an episode as well as I do, you can be certain my phone will be attached to me at all times and I’ll be one of those annoying people that “must take this call” just in case it’s school.

Wednesday: We hit the road for Milwaukee to see Dr. Li, the CVS specialist, hope, there is much hope for this meeting

Thursday: Neurosurgery family consult, there is so much riding on this appointment as we try to better understand what the change in ventricles means as we weigh the risks/benefits of brain surgery

Friday: Heart & blood pressure check at the pediatrician to see how Cameron is handling the new medicine

Whew , just writing it all down makes me want to reach for a Xanax.

*One other good thing this week, despite Cameron starting to slip into an episode on Tuesday afternoon, I got the Zofran in him within minutes and 2.5 hours later he was back. It gave me hope, hope we desperately needed.

I feel as though we packed a whole summer in one week, and we loved it!

No comments: