Tuesday, September 07, 2010

24 Hours and 24 Stitches Later


The Sweet Heart Bandage they used...


Ok, kids are amazing, and Cameron is nothing short of a miracle. Just over 24 hours after we rushed Cameron into the hospital he was walking out the next day.

He ordered up his favorite meal for dinner, you can see how tasty it looks! The funny part is he seldom takes more than one bite of that burger, and ketchup is a must, an absolute must for the fries.



As usual he was the first one at the door to the Life Center when it opened up at 9am. The Life Center is amazing, it's packed with games, toys, and it's full of sunlight, which is so important.

I couldn't wait to get Cameron home to try and wash out some of his hair, not only did it smell of surgery to me, it looked as if a bottle of Dippity Do, or whatever that gel is called, was used on his long locks.



And it's a good thing for those long locks, as part of his head did need to be shaved, but with a little comb over action we are able to successfully cover up the incision. (it's a nasty one as you can see her, for those who are squeamish my apologies!)


Prior to discharge we met with his nuerosurgeon and talked about precautions, of which there are many. We are due back in two weeks for an MRI and post-op check. Should anything, and I mean anything resemble a CVS episode or shunt malfunction happen we are to bring him immediately to the ER. Given that they have gone "in" Cameron is now at increased risk for malfunction and/or infection for the next 3-6 months. So we'll be sticking close to home for the remainder of 2010! I then hope to close this chapter of our lives!

We got home just in time to Celebrate Grandpa George's Birthday! Cameron sang Happy Birthday to him at least 20 times! while Connor did partake in the signing I think he was even more pleased with the cupcakes...


Cameron went back to school today, which I think is good for all. Having missed all of last week, but for the first day it's time. I feel confident the school is well versed on everything, we've met and reviewed protocols, they provided very detailed instructions and infromation which Dr. Bowman signed off on so I felt ok leaving him today. Not 5 minutes had past and I already got a call from the school nurse, concerned about some redness near the shunt track. Connor and I went back into the school and it was all fine, just some post-op under the skin redness he had that I forgot to point out to them. But A+++ to them for calling me right away.

So now we wait, I am trying to take it one day at time. If we can get 7 days post last episode I will feel good, 14 which would be Friday the 17th I will feel even better that the 5 month nightmare is over. I know only time will tell, but we have hope. (oh and a lot of fear too, but that's for another day!)

3 comments:

K. said...

another day.

A+++ for the call and yes one day at a time.

Im happy and love Cameron's spirit! and all of yours.
xx

Anonymous said...

Rory, what you need to do to go 7 days post last episode is to HIDE THAT DAMN GREEN BOWL. Out of sight, out of mind! Don't even THINK about it or have anything out as a reminder :) Jill

Kristin said...

we are hoping for you, too...
hugs & kisses to the boys. ;)