Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Neurosurgery Report

As some of you know we received the preliminary results of the MRI over the weekend indicating that Cameron's spine has some potential "issues." Many things were mentioned but the highlights include:
- Fatty Filum (this is indicative of a tethered cord)
- Spina Bifida Occulta (basically hidden spina bifida)
- An extra lumbar vertebrae - 5 is normal, Cameron has 6
- Intradural Lipoma (fat deposit within the dura)

So we spent Saturday - Wednesday preparing our many questions and doing research. Today we got the official report from Dr. Alden.

For those of you that don't have your M.D. :)
I'll break it down into what this means for Cameron. Since Fatty Filum is indicative of a tethered cord (TC) he will have surgery to "snip" the fatty filum. The alternative is to wait and see if Cameron develops any clinical signs of a TC. The problem with this is that any clinical signs of nerve damage or neurological damage would not be able to be reversed. So why would we wait and then find ourselves with permanent damage? The Neurosurgeon agreed.

Apparently this is a topic of much research for the Dr's right now. Given this we will be moving forward with the surgery to snip the fatty filum and release any tethering of the cord that exists.

The Spina Bifida Occulta - really means nothing for us, why they even diagnosis this I am not sure? The other two findings are of little to no consequence as well.

While it was hard to wait from Saturday till today knowing we had a problem, it gave us time to come to terms with the fact that Cameron will need another surgery. As you may recall back in late February a TC was brought up through a very long and roundabout way. At the time Dr. Alden and others did not think he had a TC but said we'd go ahead and do the MRI to be sure. So to be honest I was rather shocked that he did indeed have the TC/Fatty Filum, but a mother's instinct, I have learned, is dead on. During the MRI last week and for the day following I had a pit in my stomach that told me something was not right - how I wish I wasn't right.

Since Cameron had an MRI on 6/2/06 we wondered why this did not show up. We saw the actual films today and it was not there and today it is? I asked Dr. Alden if he has encountered this before - nope! So he is going to consult with Dr. McClone who is a leading NS at CMH (he is in partial retirement I believe).

Relative to the brain, things are looking good. There is still noticeable asymmetry in the ventricles but the cerebelleum is growing which is great to see and the arachnoid cyst is smaller.

We also learned that our Nuerologist is leaving CMH - which sucks because I really liked him, we see him next week so I'll get a recommendation for a new one. Dr. Alden also suggested with meet with genetics not sure when but it's on my radar now.

There are still a lot of questions and new information from today, but I'm beat!

We are scheduled for a Muscle Test and CMG (a urodynamics study) prior to surgery - in addition to our many other appointments. Surgery is slated for June 7th and Cameron will be in the hospital for about 3 days following surgery.

In other more "fun" news Cameron is getting his first tooth!! The poor guy is a water faucet and not interested in eating, sleeping or much else. But he still smiles! Gotta love him for that!

This past weekend Cameron and Dad had some fun - they took a walk around Wrigley Field and found Cameron's Brick
and then a visit to the lake.

Hard to believe it was a year ago today that this whole journey began when I was admitted to Prentice in pre-term labor. Not a fun day, and I'd say with today's news this one isn't that much better. But it is better that Cameron is here with us! I long for the days when we are able to just be a family and not dealing with all this medical stuff, questions and fears but for now we're doing the best we can.
XO

2 comments:

K. said...

HEY! how far we still have come. first of all, the baby bleacher brick is a true classic. Im copying the photo now and sending over to nick ; i LOVE it. i only hope some day to have my kids name on yankee and chiefs stadiums respectively.
secondly, sorry to hear about your MD boucning, but he will set you up with someone just as great. Childrens is one of the best in the country.

Rory, Im still thinking its not to late to get your MD; your medical knowledge amazes me!
xx hang in there.

kate.

Susan said...

I truly believe God has great plans for little Cameron and that he will continue to amaze us all. Still, another surgery has make you anxious. Just know many, many thoughts and prayers are being said for you all!

SS