Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Hit Me Baby One More Time

I wonder if this is what Britney Spears feels like? I'm starting to think this must be similar, of course the main difference is I'm not doped up on various prescription drugs!
The only member of our family to enjoy that luxury is the dog, Miller.

We are nearing day 7 of mom being in the hospital and Dad and Cameron taking care of things at home. I was surprised at how quickly we were able to set up our lives to run with one less parent and then just when we thought "ok, we can do this," SLAP!

Another hit, Cameron started throwing up around 8:30 last night, big deal, everyone gets the flu right, but life with a shunt means you have to question every time your child throws up "Is it a shunt malfunction?"

9pm: Mom and Dad are discussing the frequency of the vomiting, is Cameron lethargic, does he have a temp, and so on - all things any parent would be doing. I take on the charge of paging the neurosurgeon on call from my hospital bed, while Dad tends to the patient at home.

20 minutes of waiting, being hung up, getting the Neurologist on call, not the Nuerosurgeon, and finally I speak to the right person. Who I'll be honest instilled a level of confidence in me as if Cameron himself had been evaluating the situation.

There was a lot of "hmmm...." and "why does he have Hydrocephalus?" To which I wanted to respond, that is the million dollar question my friend and my son's health insurance policy taps out at One Million Dollars so if you could solve this problem that would be great (oh and by the way we're at $300K right now).

After much debate it was decided to give Cameron one-two more hours and if he is still throwing we are to bring him in.

11pm: They boys head to Children's, I am talking to my nurses to find out how can I leave this place if there is something seriously wrong.

Cameron gets and IV, some medicine to stop the vomiting and a shunt series is ordered to check the ventricles in his head via CT Scan (which dad tells me he hated) and a chest X ray to check the tubing to his abdomen.

1:30am: Good news, no signs of a shunt malfunction, they decide to admit him for observation. As I type this they are still at Children's I don't think anybody slept last night the latest text message I received from Dad read
7:43am "Cam just peed all over me and ripped out his IV!"

I guess he's ready to be discharged. Aren't we all!!!

As of 10:30am he is now waiting to have a catheter so they can check his urine, somehow our little guy decided to get a small fever for a brief period so they are being extra cautious I guess. Dad is running out of tricks to entertain him...

*** a big thank you to our neighbor Pam for coming over to help with the dog and cameron
**** a big thank you to Janice who met Matt at the hospital for support and an extra pair of hands

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh Rory!! You poor thing! I have been keeping you all in my prayers since Elizabeth told me on Sat! Hang in there!

Sue Simpson