Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What a day...




So when we spoke to the Nurse late last night to check on Cameron we learned that they were planning to do the brain surgery THIS thursday - as in tomorrow, and they had pulled several rounds of lab work in preparation. I spoke with the Dr on call and he wasn't sure why the sudden change but suggested I come in early today to talk with the neurosurgeons when they round around 6:30am. So I arrived at 6am, but didn't get to speak with anyone until 10:30am! and learned that in fact the surgery is schedule for next Thursday the 15th. Should something drastic change with Cameron they will go in earlier. So apparently there was some miscommunication between last night and today. As we had heard on Monday they would like him to get closer to 2500 kilos which is about 5lbs 9oz - he is at 4lbs 14oz now I believe. The neurosurgeon talked with me in detail about the two surgery options and they will do another head ultrasound on Cameron tomorrow to check the fluid levels. So the 15th is the big day it appears.
His head circumfrence continues to grow and I can tell the soft spot is filling with more fluid, I feel so bad for Cameron and can't imagine doing brain surgery on a 3 week old baby. Cameron will go completely under and be intabated, I signed the consent forms today and the day prior to surgery we'll discuss the risks etc with anethesia.
We are hopeful the US tomorrow does not show even more of a fluid increase.

In other news the kindey ultrasound shows some dialation/swelling still so Cameron will stay on the antibiotics to prevent infection. The good news is there are no signs of serious issues with the kidney and it is functioning as it should. So the kidney will be added to the list of items for continued follow up, but not in need of immediate attention.
Our main concern at this point is the Hydrocephalus and Dandy Walker. It's amazing how things have moved up and down on the "issues" list so many times, this truly is a day by day situation. Every day a new piece of news and a new emotion for all of us to deal with. Thanks again to everyone for all their love and support for Cameron. The nurses all say he's the cutest in the NICU and we agree :) xoxo mom and dad PS - since Cameron can't enjoy his crib at home yet - Miller decided he would test it out! just a little something to make us smile.

No comments: