I've spent the better part of the last 3 months digging in deep to get Cameron an appropriate education in our school district.
I've learned a lot, it was as if I was back in college, although this time I was studying for the exam of a lifetime. I could write about 1,000 words about this process and how frustrating, sad, and maddening it was and it doesn't have to be this way, but I don't have much left in me to put pen to paper in this case.
Hopefully over the summer I can devote some time to a post that would be helpful to other parents of children with IEPs (Individualized Education Plans). We'll see, it's on my to do list.
To sum it up we are taking the leap and sending Cameron to Kindergarten next year, with a 1:1 (individual aide), while I don't want him to come to rely on someone it's best for this particular transition. I have hopes that after this first year in the general education setting we can move away from this set up. He's going to be receiving a TON of resource minutes (OT, PT, ST, Social Work, Special Education Consult), part of me wonders how they will effectively fit all those minutes in a half day program!?!
There were many, many people I spoke with about this process family, friends, friends of friends and more so I want to take a moment and say thank you to all of you who listened, gave me advice, called attorneys and more to help us work through this difficult transition.
Yet another reminder of how fortunate we are to have the sounding board we do. Thank you all.
Of course it also reminds me of the long and winding road we are on, it's not easy in any area.
In closing I'd say you can pretty much count on my being "absent" from March-May most every year, it's affectionately referred to as IEP season for us special needs parents, not my favorite time of year to say the least.
For now it's summer, Matt and I took a collective deep breath last week and have banished all IEP talk for a few months, that is, until September when school starts...
Happy Summer. Some Light Reading over the past few months...
Tuesday, June 07, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















No comments:
Post a Comment