Monday, June 20, 2011

The toughest 5 year old...

Is Cameron Dominick, yes, I am his mother so I'm biased. But I am telling you this kid is a rock star amongst the staff at Children's. He just rolls with it all and only once during our entire 5 day ordeal did he cry. When I left him in the operating room, that was the worst. And that was not pain, that was fear and love.

What a crazy 5 days, filled with so many emotions, not a lot of sleep, a room switch that left Matt cowering under his covers one night (ask him to tell that story). Let us just say that June 2012 when the new hospital opens and there will be ALL private rooms....can't wait.

On Friday after Cameron was finally feeling better and we went to the Life Center, the cast of Peter Pan was there to do a little performance for the kids. Cameron was super shy, but met all of the cast and Nana the dog (a giant puppet) it was awesome how the guy controlled this "dog". I loved hearing Cameron laugh out loud during the performance. NBC and ABC news were there and Cameron was on the news that night! He was SO excited when he saw himself and keeps asking to see it again. What's a little brain surgery when you are a now a celebrity in your own house, right!

Thank you to the many who sent well wishes and the balloons, stuffed animals and offers to help. Cameron is 5 now, and he understands what is going on, his shunt is a part of his life that he is starting to grasp. He noticed when all the other kids were getting balloons and presents.

One day I told him I was going to grab a coffee downstairs and his sweet nurse Elizabeth was going to sit with him for 5 minutes. When I asked if he wanted anything he replied "Mom, would you get me a stuffed animal dog, brown and white". I almost started crying, instead I quickly ran off to grant his request. He was SO happy when I brought him the dog and named him sparky.

So how's the hair you might be asking? He now has two incisions on his head, they went in to the same spot at September, about a 5 inch half moon shaped incision and a new 3 inch one a bit further down his scalp. Cameron will look in the mirror to check it out and asks when the stitches get to come out. They will dissolve, he's not really grasping this concept.

His long locks allow us to cover the incisions up for the most part, so as not to scare the kiddies. The day we got home we went out for a family walk, Cameron's hair was still in a mohawk from all the goop and by the expressions on some of the neighborhood kid's faces it was clear it was all a bit much to see.

He can't swim for 3 weeks, so the swim lessons are on hold and we created a "chain link" countdown for him to pull off each day as it gets closer to July 9th! He takes it all in stride.

I could write for days, but still trying to catch up on sleep, or maybe it's start sleeping again?

About 2 hours after Cameron came out of recovery and the Dr's rounded Cameron was doing really well at this particular moment, it was somewhat hilarious. They come by and he's sitting up in bed literally shoving Pirate's Booty into his mouth directly from the bag (thank you JENNY!!!) his hair is standing straight up and he looks like a guy who just came home from an all night bender. I think it was a little comic relief everyone, including his doctors' needed. The Fellow said, "So this is Cameron Dominick who just had brain surgery and looks to be doing quite well!" everyone laughed. Connor has been a great little brother, he understands Cameron has a big "owie" on his head and we need to be very careful. Many thanks for all your support.

Tomorrow is his 4th MRI in two weeks, we'll see how these ventricles look with the new valve in place, we'll see Dr. Bowman to talk about it all. Hoping they are a good size, but not too big...


Is it the Morphine, or are the Chipmunks and Chipettes above my head right now?

No comments: